Can I still claim dependent care credit on my US individual tax form 1040, even if I use a Flex plan for Child care costs?

Los Angeles Tax Expert Answers:

Yes… You can claim the dependent care credit!!

You can still claim the dependent care credit if you use a flex plan for child care costs:

The credit can be claimed on the United States taxpayer’s second page of their form 1040. The amount is calculated on form 2441 “Child and Dependent Care Expenses”.  You can claim credit to the extent your expenses are more than the amount that you pay through your flexible spending account.

Filers with two or more children under the age of 13 qualify to apply the credit to as much as $6,000 of eligible expenses. However, the allowed maximum for dependent care costs funded through an FSA is only $5,000.

When you run the first $5,000 of dependent care costs through the Flexible Spending Account, the next $1,000 of expenses would still be eligible for the credit on Form 2441.

For most filers, taking the dependent care credit would save an extra $200 in taxes.  Keep in mind double dipping is not allowed! So, no credit is allowed for any child care costs that are paid via the flex plan.

If you have any questions about anything mentioned above feel free to contact us through our website @ or Call us at 424-274-1391.

Thank you for reading….


Have tax questions? Ask Us.

The first step to hassle-free accounting, tax returns, and tax planning starts by reaching out to one of our representatives.

Schedule a Consultation